Marla Jensen is a singer/songwriter, and hairstylist. She recently opened Red Boutique Salon and Spa on Main Street in Elgin. Her first love may have been music but she has a real talent for making women look and feel beautiful.
Full disclosure, she my favorite hair stylist of all time.
1. Why did you move to Elgin?
I moved to Elgin to be near my former husband’s family, and because we found a neighborhood and home we could afford.
2. What compels you to spend time creating?
I love creating music. It allows me to express my deepest feelings that are difficult to speak. I love writing music that others can identify with or feel moved by. Inspiring others moves me the most.
3. Tell me three things you’ve learned in the past five years.
1. I am much stronger and smarter than I ever thought and am putting those virtues to use.
2. I am in control of my life.
3. Love is alive and here by me.
4. What are you currently making, reading, watching, or listening to?
I am currently studying the mysteries of promoting myself on social media, specifically regarding Instagram. I listen to podcasts by Rachel Hollis, who interviews entrepreneurs constantly, and Jasmine Star who is an Instagram genius.
5. Cake or Pie?
Lemon Meringue Pie (from Lucy’s) and Chocolate Cake… so both! Haha